In-Force Gross Written Premium (GWP)
North America (in USD)
U.S. (in USD)
The total premium volume in the U.S., as reported by NAPHIA members, amounted to $1.56 billion at year-end 2019.
The U.S. market continues to experience double-digit increases (average annual growth rate of 22.6% between 2015 and 2019).
- 24.3% increase from 2018 to 2019
- 21.7% increase from 2017 to 2018
- 23.2% increase from 2016 to 2017
- 21.4% increase from 2015 to 2016
Canada (in CAD)
The total premium volume in Canada, as reported by NAPHIA members, amounted to $208.6 million at year-end 2019.
The Canadian 5-year average annual growth rate was 15.4%, below the U.S. average annual growth rate of 22.6%.
- 16.4% increase from 2018 to 2019
- 9.6% increase from 2017 to 2018
- 17.5% increase from 2016 to 2017
- 18.0% increase from 2015 to 2016
In-Force GWP, Per Product (2019)
U.S. (in USD)
Canada (in CDN)
- Accident Only: Foreign body ingestion, lacerations, motor vehicle accident, ligament tears, poisoning, etc.
- Accident & Illness: Accident benefits plus illnesses such as cancer, infections, digestive problems, etc.
- Insurance with Embedded Wellness: Comprehensive plans that may include vaccinations, early screening diagnostics, consultations for proper nutrition, dental care, etc.
- Endorsements: Riders such as wellness or cancer endorsements.
*Combined insurance includes Accident & Illness & Insurance with Embedded Wellness
Pets and GWP Distribution (2019) – Top 5