In-Force Gross Written Premium (GWP)
North America (in USD)
Note: Annual amounts will be displayed when holding your mouse over selected years.
U.S. (in USD)
The total premium volume in the U.S., as reported by NAPHIA members, amounted to $1.99 billion at year-end 2020.
The U.S. market continues to experience double-digit increases (average annual growth rate of 24.2% between 2016 and 2020).
- 27.5% increase from 2019 to 2020
- 24.3% increase from 2018 to 2019
- 21.7% increase from 2017 to 2018
- 23.2% increase from 2016 to 2017
Canada (in CAD)
The total premium volume in Canada, as reported by NAPHIA members, amounted to $244.6 million at year-end 2020.
The Canadian 5-year average annual growth rate was 15.2%, below the U.S. average annual growth rate of 24.2%.
- 17.2% increase from 2019 to 2020
- 16.4% increase from 2018 to 2019
- 9.6% increase from 2017 to 2018
- 17.5% increase from 2016 to 2017
In-Force GWP, Per Product (2020)
U.S. (in USD)
Canada (in CDN)
- Accident Only: Foreign body ingestion, lacerations, motor vehicle accident, ligament tears, poisoning, etc.
- Accident & Illness: Accident benefits plus illnesses such as cancer, infections, digestive problems, etc.
- Insurance with Embedded Wellness: Comprehensive plans that may include vaccinations, early screening diagnostics, consultations for proper nutrition, dental care, etc.
- Endorsements: Riders such as wellness or cancer endorsements.
*Combined insurance includes Accident & Illness & Insurance with Embedded Wellness
Pets and GWP Distribution (2020)
|U.S. – Top 10||PETS||GWP|
|CANADA – Top 5||PETS||GWP|