North American Pet Health Insurance is Strong & Growing
According to the latest data, the pet health insurance industry in North America is strong and growing.
This year’s NAPHIA State of the Industry Benchmarking Report shows a 14.6% increase in policies in force from 2012 to 2013. “We’re seeing strong, stable, year-over-year growth,” says Dennis Rushovich, NAPHIA President. “It’s proof-positive that the pet health insurance is something people want and need.”
Produced annually, the NAPHIA State of the Industry Benchmarking Report offers the results of a member-wide survey. It includes data from major players representing almost 90% of the industry of pet health insurance policies in force in North America.
“This year we’ve tracked additional information we’ve never tracked before, like top claims across the Canada and the United States,” adds Rushovich. “It’s valuable information not only for those inside the pet health insurance industry, but also for others in pet health because it demonstrates that the industry is growing and thriving. That’s good news for pet owners, their pets, and the veterinarians who treat them.”
NAPHIA’s Executive Director Kristen Lynch says that while this is the third year NAPHIA has produced its State of the Industry Benchmarking Report, it now covers data from 2008 through to 2013. “This gives us the opportunity to see trends over the long-term,” says Lynch. “Now, we’re getting a more complete picture of the stability and positive overall industry growth in North America.”
2014 Report Highlights
- There are currently more than 1 million pets insured in North America
- In 2013, NAPHIA members insured 1,033,983 pets.
- 876,441 of NAPHIA member policies insure dogs and 157,542 are for cats
- Dogs represented approximately 90% of In-Force Gross Written Premium in 2013
Growth of Industry:
- The industry has experienced double-digit increases since 2009 (average annual growth rate of 13.2%).
- The North American market is estimated to be approximately $595 million ($487.4 million among NAPHIA member companies)
- 14.6% increase in policies in force from 2012 to 2013
Pet Insurance Product Statistics:
- Accident & Illness – 95.6% of policies in force
- Accident Only – 3.1% of policies in force
- Insurance with Embedded Wellness – 1.3% of policies in force
Dogs – average annual premiums, 2013
Accident Only – $166.25
Accident & Illness – $456.98
Insurance with Embedded Wellness – $1,178.13
Cats – average annual premiums, 2013
Accident Only – $136.26
Accident & Illness – $289.99
Insurance with Embedded Wellness – $743.11
Get the Report
Remember, these are just the Report’s highlights. For the public copy of the State of the Industry Benchmarking Report, please contact us.