In May of 2009 we went to the Humane Society ‘Walk for Animals’ in Golden Valley, MN. It was a beautiful warm, sunny day and Watson was in heaven with people fawning over him. He LOVES people amp; children are his favorite!
We live close by, so we walked there; moseyed around the grounds a couple of hours to take in all the vendors and fun stuff that was happening, and then did a good portion of the walk before heading home.
Afterwards, we debated if we should take Watson with us on our trip to the grocery store. ‘Yes, we should’.., we thought, …’he’ll like the ride’.
As we were going down the road, Watson began gagging and his mouth was foaming. His back was arching, he was sticking his face between the seat amp; the side of the van amp; his tummy looked bigger. Watson had the symptoms of Bloat! Oh my gosh! What would have happened if we had decided to leave Watson home? We sped to the emergency vet; they immediately took him for x-rays amp; confirmed it was bloat. When they told us how much it would cost, my eyes glazed over and thoughts of making a dreadful decision of letting him go raced through my mind just because of the cost. They had only a short time before he would die and needed to do immediate surgery to correct it. We said ‘yes!’, but, they wanted half the money now. Through a couple of sources and the fact the the vet allowed us to pay the remaining balance when we came to take him home, Watson had the surgery.
I doubt there would have been those terrible thoughts if we had insurance. The knowledge of getting help from an insurance plan would’ve made the decision so much easier.
Watson came home Monday on Morphine and could barely stand up, but he wasn’t in any pain and we had our boy back! He healed well and was his lovable, handsome self looking for everyone and anyone to share his affection. By the way we are $4,000.00 poorer… I hope to never have to make a decision between money and a furry baby again!
- Deborah Shaffer